The New Year is here, and what better time to reflect on this past year with your senior loved one than right now? 2021 is the chance for a fresh start and implementing new, healthy habits that focus on improving your senior’s overall health and wellness. By putting their goals first, you can help ensure that their needs and desires are being met and not simply passed over. To improve your senior’s quality of life and to help them age with dignity, read through our five tips below!
- Eat a healthier diet. Malnutrition is, unfortunately, a common issue for older adults, so in the new year, encourage your senior to eat a healthy, regular diet. Meals should consist of proper servings of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- Make new friends. To help your senior make new friends and form invaluable social connections with other seniors, have them consider something like community volunteer projects or even joining a senior center when it is safe to do so! Currently, however, local museums and churches offer virtual events where your senior can meet new friends. Having a healthy social life can improve your senior’s mood and outlook on life.
- Keep the mind active. Stimulation for your senior’s brain is incredibly important and should be a top priority. For some of the best activities, encourage them to learn new hobbies or interests, play brain games like word puzzles, or engage in creative projects.
- Get plenty of rest. Do not underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep when it comes to your senior’s health! Sleep is a critical component to your senior’s health, and the new year is the right time to explore healthy solutions to sleeping issues.
- See a provider regularly. Have your senior call their doctor to schedule an annual wellness check-up to assess their current health status and future wellness goals.
New year, new goals. Creating goals for 2021 allows for the opportunity to start the year with a fresh outlook and help your senior get excited about positive changes and a new, healthy lifestyle change! The key is implementing your plan. If you would like additional help creating your plan and goals with your senior loved one, we invite you to reach out to us at Caring Friends. Our caregivers are here and ready to schedule your consultation.